Here's a roundup of the best links I clicked on this past week. Do you have an item that would be a great fit for a future update? Click here to suggest a link.
FloQast: Honored As Fastest Growing Tech Company
FloQast recently won a "Silver Stevie" award at the 14th Annual American Business Awards. If you haven't heard of FloQast, you should check it out. It's a cloud-based “close management solution” for internal accounting departments. (read)
QuickBooks: What's up in QuickBooks apps
For the month of June, the QuickBooks Blog featured InvoiceSherpa, an add-on that automates both accounts receivable and accounts payable. (read)
There's also a new batch of QBO apps:
- ShipGear Shipping Software — "Connect UPS WorldShip, FedEx Ship Manager, or USPS Endicia Pro to QuickBooks to share data across your business."
- VetBadger — "Practice better medicine, unlock the full potential of your team, and engage more fully with your clients."
- CFOapp — "Stay informed and increase business productivity with your own financial assistant, through an integration with QuickBooks."
- SmartSoft Invoices — "Save time by automatically posting bills to your QuickBooks account. Simply upload the bills you receive from your vendors and the system extracts the data and posts the bills to QuickBooks."
Xero is disabling FreshBooks integration by September 1
According to an email this month from Xero, they are disabling the integration between Xero and FreshBooks on September 1, 2016. As alternatives, Xero recommends:
- Xero: Switch clients 100% to Xero for invoicing.
- OneSaaS: Use OneSaaS to import FreshBooks contacts, invoices, and payments into Xero. You can also export invoices and products created in Xero back into FreshBooks. (Try OneSaaS for free)
- Workato: Use Workato to sync FreshBooks contacts, invoices, and payments into Xero, and optionally sync contacts, invoices, items and payments from Xero back into FreshBooks. You can also build customized workflows. (Try Workato free for 30 days)
BizInk: The Forgotten P of Marketing
Wednesday 29nd June, AEST: 08.00am | NZ: 10:00 am
Tuesday 28th June, PDT: 3pm | EDT: 4pm | UK & Ireland: 11pm
Just for Fun
Planet Money: Open Office
If you have a desk job in America, you probably don't have your own office. Instead, you work in a big, open room with lots of (often noisy and distracting) coworkers. But it wasn't always this way. In this episode, Planet Money investigates the backstory of the open office. (listen)
Bank of America has started allowing customers to withdraw cash from its ATMs using Apple Pay in select markets. (read)
The Profitable Firm: How your personal involvement in social media helps your accountancy firm
Karen Reyburn explains why accounting firm partners need to do more than simply delegate responsibility for social media. (read)
Alex Turnbull shares answers to questions, including:
- Where do you hire remote workers?
- How do you interview remote job candidates?
- How do you measure remote employee performance?
- How do you build culture as a remote team?
Xero: Developer TV Episode 4
Even if you're not a developer, this episode of Xero Developer TV is worth a watch. It's pretty entertaining. If you're a developer, learn why you might want to be part of the Xero add-on ecosystem.
- CrunchBoards: June 2016 Release — Updates to CrunchBoards in June include many small improvements to forecasting, the chart of accounts, and scenarios.
- Deputy: Pay Rates by Area (Gusto) — Do you pay different rates depending on the type of work your employees are doing? If you're using Gusto with Deputy, now you can set pay rates by area — different rates for different locations, roles, types of work, clients, etc.
- Harvest: Easier Editing from Your Reports — Now you can drill down to time entries from the Detailed Time and Expense reports.
- Receipt Bank: With Multiple Mode, it’s finally time to break up with your office scanner — Now you can snap receipts even faster with Receipt Bank thanks to their new camera feature: Multiple Mode.
- Shoeboxed: ScanSnap Cloud + Shoeboxed — If your ScanSnap scanner has ScanSnap Cloud functionality, you can now scan documents directly into your Shoeboxed account without the need for a computer or mobile device.
- Square: Appointments App now available for iPad — Now you can use the Square Appointments app on iPad in addition to desktop and iPhone.
- TaxJar: TaxJar Now Offers SmartCalcs Sales Tax Calculation for Stripe Users — Stripe merchants will be happy to learn that they can now use TaxJar SmartCalcs for all their sales tax calculations.