Here's a roundup of the best links I clicked on this past week.
I've also got a new blog post for you: Expensify is the Slack of Accounting. The post is up to 350 shares but without any comments! I'd love to hear your thoughts.
- Xero: Xero Limited 2016 Annual Report — Xero posted its 2016 year-end financials, showing that operating revenues rose 67% and subscribers grew 51%. Paid subscribers are now 717,000 globally, an increase of 242,000 over the previous year. North American subscribers rose from 35,000 to 62,000. In an interview with the Sydney Morning Herald, Rod Drury said that Xero must achieve faster growth than Intuit in the U.S. before listing here.
- Expensify: #ExpensiCon, in One Chart — David Barrett explains the nifty chart he used at ExpensiCon to describe the growth of Expensify from 2008 to 2016.
- TaxJar: TaxJar is Now a Magento Premier Partner: What that Means for You — TaxJar and Magento are working together to provide all Magento users access to free sales tax calculations, and simplified sales tax reporting and filing.
- CrunchBoards: The app is now available on the QuickBooks App Store.
- Harvest: Harvest for QBO: Control If Payments Copy Over — You can now choose in your Harvest settings whether or not you want payments copied over to QuickBooks Online.
- Intacct: CPA Practice Advisor reports that Intacct has launched a new automated system for revenue recognition per the upcoming ASC 606 and IFRS 15 guidelines.
- QuickBooks: All about your updated QuickBooks Form Styles — QBO updated the layouts for invoices, estimates, and sales receipts. Here's a video explaining what's new.
- Square: Get Paid Faster with Scheduled Invoices — Square sellers can now schedule all of their invoices at one time and control when they want their customers to receive them.
- Xero has added report filters to many of the "New Reports" in Xero. For example, you can now filter the Account Transactions report by Tax Rate.
- Over the next few months, Xero will be migrating to Amazon Web Services. Short outages will start in June and take place on Saturdays between 11a.m. and 1p.m. Pacific Time.
- Google: Meet Gboard: Search, GIFs, emojis & more. Right from your keyboard. — If you use an iPhone, you can now search Google without leaving the current application, right through Gboard, Google's new custom keyboard for iOS. Also includes animated GIFs. If you don't know how to say it, there's probably a GIF that can do it for you.
- Accountex Report: Owning Your Brand — Quirks and All — Geni Whitehouse says that if you want to really appeal to clients, you have to lose the flat, bland image and let (at least some of) your personality out.
- The Profitable Firm: The 7 steps to follow up for your accountancy firm — "If you don’t have an actual process for your follow up, you will lose business, and you probably are already losing business."
- Cloud Stories: Heather Smith interviews Danetha Doe, one of CPA Practice Advisor's "Top 40 Under 40" accounting professionals in 2015. Among other things, Danetha talks about her journey from NFL cheerleader to celebrity financial strategist.
- Xero Gravity: Episode 47: Tesla paves road for small biz innovation — Rod Drury "joins Elizabeth Ü in studio to discuss the parallels between Tesla’s plan to make the world better, and how small businesses can innovate and grow beyond their community."